Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Essay 4-Information beauty

Information overload

Every morning after I get up, I start my computer and open MSN, Gmail, face book, Flikr, My Space, Last.FM to check if everything is OK with me and see the latest updates of my friends. Then, if I want to relax, I surf on YouTube and Google Reader to read interesting news and videos. I know I spend too much time on Internet, however, I can not control myself and get addiction to Internet. Why? It seems I know what is good and what is dangerous, but I can not stop my car only because I don’t want to get lost.

Two-way communication

Digital media has changed our communication methods. In traditional media, our mass people are more like listeners. Computer and Internet technology has transformed it into two-way communication which means viewers are becoming co-producers. New technology not only brings us convenience of life but also give us high information pressure. In order to catch up with new technology, people are becoming more nervous and even got ‘Information allergy’. Some people can not adjust to the mess which is brought by information technology and they got the dieses of ‘Information trepidation’. They feel uncomfortable after getting to know some information and always worry about losing other information. Actually, I think the philosophy is very simple: there are too many information today, so make a quick decision and make this decision to be the right one.

Recently, a rule comes out in China which is to define people who get addiction to computer games like ‘World of War Craft’ as mental disease. Talking about the value of spending time on Internet, I think there is no standard to say what is valuable to everyone. If one really get happy when playing ‘World of War Craft’, so why not? No one have rights to judge the meaning of other people’s lives and happiness if personal feeling.

Information beauty

From my point of view, the important thing for social media is to transfer information in a more beautiful way and reconstruct the way we gather information. Information is a kind of product, so product needs quality. And the purpose of information is giving viewers some kind of power. Some information can make goods sell well and some may make us feel shock and give us deep impression. The first stage of information beauty is clear which means make viewers get the point easily and the second stage is unique which means bring fresh thinking and innovative thinking and the last stage is humorous which means make people feel happy except for getting the key point of the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment